Illinois Natural History Survey - University of Illinois

Collins Memorial Woods

A 5.3 ha (13.1 acres) second growth deciduous forest. A small, isolated woodlot with a livestock grazing history. The eastern half is a mix of older "wolf" trees and woody successional species. The western half is a more mature oak/hickory/ash/osage orange woods with a small area of old river oxbow bottom land. Bush honeysuckle (Lonicera spp.) dominates the understory in many areas. A system of marked grid posts, at 50 meter intervals, is in place. The site is located about 12 miles NE of the UIUC campus (2 miles north of St. Joseph, IL). The area is fenced along the east and south sides with remnant fencing along the west side, but the west fencing is roughly 3 m onto the adjacent landowners property. Access is walk-in only. A housing development abuts the west side and agricultural land abuts the other sides. Acquired in 1991, purchased by the University of Illinois at a reduced cost from the Champaign County Design and Conservation Foundation (CCDC).

Location: N 1/3 of the SW 1/4 of the NE 1/4 of Section 2, St. Joseph township, Champaign Co. About 2273 E/1775 N. About 1.5 miles north of the city of St. Joseph.



Illinois Natural History Survey

1816 South Oak Street, MC 652
Champaign, IL 61820
217-333-6880
cms@inhs.illinois.edu

Terms of use. Email the Web Administrator with questions or comments.

© 2017 University of Illinois Board of Trustees. All rights reserved.
For permissions information, contact the Illinois Natural History Survey.

Staff Intranet
Login