Illinois Natural History Survey - University of Illinois


What key things should I know?

  • Never spend more than $500 out of pocket, except for hotels and airfare. See the Purchasing page for more information about how to get items paid for by a staff member.
  • Due TO CAMPUS within 60 days of the end of travel
  • Require receipts that show PAID, zero balance, and/or credit card number (XXXX1234) and type of card. They should be itemized.
  • Do not highlight anything on receipts
  • If you have a TCard, be sure to reconcile the charges.
  • Watch your email to see if your TEM is either paid or rejected and in need of revision.
  • International travel has many challenges. See further information below.

What should I know about business meals?

  •  Before your business meal, determine whether your business meal or refreshments are an allowable expense. The allowability depends on the type of event, the participants, the funding source, and the dollar amount per person. See OBFS Section 8: Determine the Allowability of Business Meals and Refreshments for full details of allowability.
  • Business meals can be paid for with a T-Card or can be reimbursed.
  • Always ask for the sales tax exemption.
  • Provide an itemized receipt, showing the food and drink purchased, not just the credit card receipt. The receipt must be itemized in TEM: food/drink, tax/tip, and alcohol. Alcohol can only be paid for with gift funds.
  • List the names of the attendees along with their business affiliation. If there are 20 or more guests, only the affiliation needs to be included.

 How do I get reimbursed?

1) Obtain access to Travel and Expense Management system (TEM) by completing the Information Security Compliance Form and returning it to Wendy Harris (1012 Forbes Natural History Building,

2) Either process the request yourself, or complete the Miscellaneous Expense Reimbursement form (for non-travel expenses) OR the Travel Reimbursement Request form (for all expenses incurred while in travel status) and give it to Clay Stewart (1035 Forbes). It will get to University Payables faster if you do it yourself.

Reimbursements will be deposited into your bank account, but it may take up to one month.

How do I use TEM?

How do I reconcile my TCard charges?

What should I know about International travel?

  • General information can be found on the OBFS Reimbursements for Foreign Travel site
  • You can be reimbursed for actual lodging costs (with receipts translated into English), or you can claim the lodging per diem (no receipt required), based on the U.S. Department of State rates.
  • Meals and incidental travel expenses (reasonable laundry, dry cleaning, baggage transport and handling) can be claimed using the M&IE rates determined by the U.S. Department of State.
  • Using the U.S. Department of State website: Select the country, and then scroll to find the nearest town. "Maximum lodging rate" is the most you can claim for a hotel per night. "M & IE rate" is the most you can claim for meals and other allowable incidentals. "Maximum perdiem rate" is the most you can request for the combination of hotel, meals, and incidentals.


Last updated December 4, 2015; contact Wendy Harris, with suggested changes

Illinois Natural History Survey

1816 South Oak Street, MC 652
Champaign, IL 61820

Terms of use. Email the Web Administrator with questions or comments.

© 2018 University of Illinois Board of Trustees. All rights reserved.
For permissions information, contact the Illinois Natural History Survey.

Staff Intranet